TNW Rules and Info

A View From Inside the 2009 El Tour de Tucson

Although he took 56 seconds off of last year's time, it was a rough go today for cycling legend John Howard at this year's El Tour.  I talked with him after the race and he sends us this:


El Tour all done.  60th place.  An inexperienced rider took me down and into a cactus bush!  The bike was damaged and so was my body, so I was dropped from the lead group just before the second wash.  Chased, caught, but the best I could do was the second group of about 60 riders.  With 20 miles to go I opened a gap solo, and brought it up to 1:04 to the end.   

Very disappointed that I could not do battle with the Mexican Division 1 pros who won again this year.  Still pulling cactus needles out of my skin and looking forward to my next challenge!


 - John Howard
       Cyclist, pincushion

No comments: